Monday, April 7, 2014

Handmade Box

Hello!  I made a gift box a couple of weeks ago when I watched the Live Stream Stamping Event with Stampin' Up! and I've been excited to share it with you.  I was really excited about how easy it was to make this box from two pieces of 12 x 12 sheets of the Sale-A-Bration Sweet Sorbet Designer Series Paper.  For the top, you score at 2'' and 10'' going both ways (score on one side at 2 and 10'', then flip the paper and score again at 2 and 10''.  The result will be a square in the center of the score lines that is 10'', with a border outside the score lines measuring 2''.  You'll have 4 squares, one in each corner.  You'll cut up one side of the squares being careful to not cut out the squares, hence why you only cut up one side of the corner squares.  Then you'll fold your paper to create your box top, and then glue the flaps of the square corners you cut to keep your box together.  To create the bottom of the box, take your second sheet of Designer Series Paper, trim it down to 11 7/8'' x 11 7/8''.  Then score the same dimensions as you did for the top box.  Once again, cut one side of the squares in the corners of the paper, creating the tabs to glue your box together.  
 Sorry some of the lines are dashed and some are solid.  Ignore that.   You'll score everything, and then after you've score, you'll cut only where it says cut.


I hope drawing this helps you.  I drew it late last night after creating this post, thinking that some of you would read my directions and say "huh?  I don't get it."  Let me know if the drawing was helpful.

Once you glue the bottom box together, you can slip the top over the bottom box and they will fit snugly together.  I created a 2'' belly band with a third sheet of Designer Series Paper for an extra little touch.  I pieced the two Crisp Cantaloupe 2'' strips together with a piece of Sticky Strip, then wrapped it around my box to see how much I would need.  I cut the extra off and then glued the pieces together again, so that the belly band is secured and will slip right over the box.  Then I cut a banner tag by hand from Pistachio Pudding card stock, punched out two flowers with my Pansy Punch in Costal Cabana and Summer Starfruit card stock, stamped the Crisp Cantaloupe 1 1/8'' circle centers with the A Fitting Occasion stamp set, and added a Decorative Label punched out of Sahara Sand Cardstock, folded it over the edge of the banner, and I was done!  I used this box to wrap my husband's grandmother's Mini Memories Simply Created Album that I shared in yesterday's post, and she was thrilled!


It sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn't.  I whipped this box together pretty fast, and it was worth it for two reasons.  1: I had to wrap a birthday gift only 4 days later, and this box ended up being the perfect size, and 2: My husband's grandma was totally thrilled and quite impressed with the box and that I made it by hand.  I hope this inspires you to give one a try.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I'll see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment